One of my greatest passions in life is travel. 3 Months ago I found myself in Sintra, on the west coast of Portugal. I was up in Portugal with my mom for the annual Rotary Convention in Lisbon, and I took a day trip into Sintra with her. It was a cute little town with castles & buildings dating back to the 8th & 9th centuries. It’s known for its wine & traditional confectionery. The Sintra National Palace & The Castle of Moors are actually World Heritage sites.. so if you find yourself looking for a day trip while in Lisbon, you won’t go wrong with this! The fountain pictured is their famous “marriage” fountain… anyone who drinks from it will supposedly find love soon! So let’s see 😉 … It’s funny to think that only a few months after this I would find myself on the opposite end of the world in New York studying acting. You never know where life will take you!
Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station.’ – Lisa St Aubin de Teran
This is one of my favourite quotes. I took this photo at a cute little Vegan restaurant I’ve discovered near where I live in New York. It’s called Peacefood Cafe & they do amazing brazil nut chai tea 🙂
In just over a month I’m off to New York to study “Acting for Film” + “Film Production” at the New York Film Academy. They have schools all over the world including in Los Angeles, Paris, Florence, Harvard University, Beijing, Japan, Abu Dhabi, India and Australia. I chose New York because I’ve never been and let’s face it, it’s arguably the capital of the world. I’m very excited for the months I will be there! Aside from the actual course, I’m excited for the incredible guest speakers they get at the school (Kevin Spacey, Ben Kingsley, Steven Spielberg, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ben Stiller, Billy Zane and many more). I’ve put together a list of six things I want to make sure I experience while I’m there – I get that it’s a huge city, but these are things that stand out to me. I recently did a similar article for my Madrid trip in June (see the article here). What’s great is, I celebrate my 25th birthday the day after I land in the U.S, so I would love to do something really special to celebrate (throw any ideas at me if you have!)
1. A horse & carriage ride through Central Park. I can’t think of a better way to gently introduce myself to this city. let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to go back in time for a bit? It can be located on Central Park South between 5th and 6th avenues.
2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I love art and I think I’ll absolutely love this famous museum. I’m particularly interested in the museum’s collection of ancient Egyptian art!
3. A stroll through the West Village in Manhattan. I saw an article on it by Time Magazine here. What appeals to me about this are the cobblestone streets which have remained unchanged since the 19th century. The Magnolia Bakery sounds amazing with their signature cupcakes. I understand their cupcake of the month this month is the “hummingbird” – banana, pineapple and pecan cake with sweet cream cheese icing topped with toasted pecans. Yum.
4. The Metropolitan Opera House. It’s located on Broadway at Lincoln Square in the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It’s part of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and it opened in 1966. The night of my birthday they are staging “The Sleeping Beauty” at 7:30pm.
5. Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village. What can I say, I love comedy! I hear this is a great club.
6. Film Forum. From my understanding this is a very popular independent movie house. I can imagine the films shown here are very interesting. As a film graduate, I will definitely appreciate what I would otherwise never get to see! I like the look of the original “Cleopatra” starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Another one that caught my eye was “Rosemary’s Baby” starring Mia Farrow.
How about you? Do you have any suggestions for me for when i’m in New York?
Skybok recently covered events for Rotary PE West as part of their “Medieval Festival”. It’s a whole weekend of festivities themed around the Middle Ages and it’s hosted at Victoria Park in Port Elizabeth. Their “Royal Banquet” is on a Friday night where everyone arrives dressed up in costumes from the Middle Ages. There’s a dinner and lots of entertainment. During the Saturday, they host an entire day filled with arts, crafts and activities that people during those times used to play! Together with my brother, I filmed and photographed these events for them. I spent about two days editing and adding music and I am so excited about the final result! It was such a festive evening and day and we managed to capture the spirit and ambiance into two easy 2 minute video profiles. See both videos below. To watch in the best quality be sure to change the viewing settings to 1080 p HD (click on the cog in the toolbar at the bottom of the video as it plays). If you are in South Africa and would like to get in touch with us to film your business or event, see our facebook page here. We also have our twitter here, our YouTube Channel here and our website here.
May is one of my favourite months. Last year this time I was getting home from London where I had just done Top Model UK. Here in South Africa, May is the last month of the Autumn season and things are headed for Winter so it’s getting chilly. Good thing I’ll be in New York when it’s the height of Winter here! For May I decided some of my goals this month would revolve around spring cleaning.. this is going to be a month of organizing and cleaning out! Here are some of the things I’m going to do:
1. Clean out all my old stuff and give to charity. This includes my old books, textbooks, sport stuff, ornaments and clothes. I just realized I am keeping a lot of my old things and it’s piling up. I am doing a huge clean out this month and I have three charities in mind who I would like to drop my boxes off with. I will keep you posted!
2. Read a book. I have started an incredibly-written novel by Julian Fellowes called ‘Past Imperfect’. I love reading but the trouble is sometimes life runs away with me and I never finish things I start reading. This one I’m determined to complete!
3. Finish another blog I’m creating. I’m working on a new project and I’m going to work extra hard to get it done before the end of the month. Very exciting stuff, watch this space!