When Skybok was up in Durban 2014 filming for the Tourism Indaba, we went on an organized media tour. It was incredible seeing townships one would never get to see. If you travel here, make sure you do an organized tour with a legitimate company. We spent the day touring Durban and surrounding townships where Nelson Mandela began his journey with the ANC. The particular township we went to also happened to be where Ghandi spent his years in South Africa. It’s called the Inanda Heritage Route. We ended off with a gorgeous beachfront party and buffet in true African style! Below is a list of companies who do township tours. It is an unforgettable and heart-warming experience. You won’t be sorry.
I must admit, I’m a fan of Estee Lauder. I use their products for everything. Everyone may use different products, but there are certain tips that are the same for every girl when applying make-up. Here are the things every girl should know when glamming up:
- Always wash your face and hands before you apply make-up. If you have oily or sensitive skin, do not exfoliate else you will spread bacteria around your face. Apply toner and a light moisturizer afterwards, avoiding the eye area
- Always use a new towel when drying your face.
- If your moisturizer has SPF in it, be aware this is not good for flash photography. If going to an evening event, rather not use a foundation with SPF in.
- Apply concealer to the spots on your face that are redder than others – corners of your eyes, around the nose, under your eyes.
- Apply powder all over the face using a nice powder brush. Dust it off with a paper towel afterwards to get rid of the excess powder and lightly brush across the whole face again. Use a bronzer on your forehead, cheeks and chin for the sun-kissed look.
- Highlight your brow bone (just below the brow) and to the highest part of your cheek with a light powder or eye shadow.
- Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks.
- Line the eyes with black eyeliner. I always apply liner on my upper lids.
- When it comes to eye shadows, remember that the light colours are for the lids and the dark colours are for the crease on the lid. The lightest colour on your palette is for just under the brow bone. Use the larger eyeshadow brush to blend all the colours.
- When applying mascara, I always make the mistake of pumping the brush in and out of the mascara. Apparently this is terrible to do as it causes air pockets. Rather dip the brush lightly once and remember to wipe off the excess on a tissue when you done. Do two coats, starting from the inner part and working your way out.
- When applying your lipstick, always start by applying a lip balm, primer or sealer. This will help your lipstick last longer.
- Make sure that your lips do not look chapped or cracked before you put on lipstick. If your lips are chapped, lightly brush off the dead skin cells with a toothbrush or towel.
- I don’t use lip liner, but if you do be sure to choose a colour that matches your lipstick.
- Try apply your lipstick with a brush so it can spread evenly. Blot your lips with tissue to make the lipstick last longer. Use gloss for a shiny or glittery look.
- If applying both lip color and eye makeup, emphasize one, or the other, never both.
- Make sure you use makeup and mascara remover before going to sleep. It’s very bad for your skin to sleep with it on. I’m terrible at doing this, but I’m trying to be better at taking make-up off before bed! Be sure to wash your face after, apparently that gets off all the rest of the foundation and powder. I actually always just use Johnson’s face wipes – works perfectly for me.
- Avoid applying make-up too often , it will block your pores causing blemishes and pimples.
- Clean your makeup brushes at least once a month with a makeup brush cleaner. Also, try not to share brushes.
Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
I went with my brother to the US Open Men’s Quarterfinals at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens. I watched Andy Murray vs. Stanislas Wawrinka. It was such an awesome vibe, even Sean Connery was in the crowd! They played James Bond music during one of the breaks, he was smiling, it was loads of fun 🙂 I was shocked with Murray’s performance, he looked like he just gave up half way through. I couldn’t believe he mangled yet another racket, but I would too if I was up against Wawrinka who was playing near-flawless tennis. He deserves his place in the semi finals!
Took some amazing images of quirky East Village
I’m currently helping a photography grad student at the school with his final thesis project …. portraits & body shots. Can’t wait to see the pictures when they’re done 🙂 We shot at a studio in SOHO, Manhattan, and I think we ended up shooting until midnight from being there in the afternoon! I did my own make-up for this. I used Rimmel ‘Special Eyes’ Black Eye Liner, Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara, Clinique ‘Precious Posy’ Blush, Maybelline ‘Pink Quartz’ Lipstick and for my foundation I used Estee Lauder ‘Pale Almond’ Futurist.
I’m so thrilled to be in class in New York with well-known soapie star Jorge Consejo, who is most famous for his roles on various TV soap operas in Mexico on the “Telemundo” Network. It’s such a pleasure working with him in class – I’m learning a lot! Now he is moving to New York and setting his sights on working in the film industry here. I have no doubt he will be very successful!! Check out his Twitter and his official website.
Here is a short silent film I danced in for a film-making student’s project at the New York Film Academy: