I must admit, I’m a fan of Estee Lauder. I use their products for everything. Everyone may use different products, but there are certain tips that are the same for every girl when applying make-up. Here are the things every girl should know when glamming up:
- Always wash your face and hands before you apply make-up. If you have oily or sensitive skin, do not exfoliate else you will spread bacteria around your face. Apply toner and a light moisturizer afterwards, avoiding the eye area
- Always use a new towel when drying your face.
- If your moisturizer has SPF in it, be aware this is not good for flash photography. If going to an evening event, rather not use a foundation with SPF in.
- Apply concealer to the spots on your face that are redder than others – corners of your eyes, around the nose, under your eyes.
- Apply powder all over the face using a nice powder brush. Dust it off with a paper towel afterwards to get rid of the excess powder and lightly brush across the whole face again. Use a bronzer on your forehead, cheeks and chin for the sun-kissed look.
- Highlight your brow bone (just below the brow) and to the highest part of your cheek with a light powder or eye shadow.
- Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks.
- Line the eyes with black eyeliner. I always apply liner on my upper lids.
- When it comes to eye shadows, remember that the light colours are for the lids and the dark colours are for the crease on the lid. The lightest colour on your palette is for just under the brow bone. Use the larger eyeshadow brush to blend all the colours.
- When applying mascara, I always make the mistake of pumping the brush in and out of the mascara. Apparently this is terrible to do as it causes air pockets. Rather dip the brush lightly once and remember to wipe off the excess on a tissue when you done. Do two coats, starting from the inner part and working your way out.
- When applying your lipstick, always start by applying a lip balm, primer or sealer. This will help your lipstick last longer.
- Make sure that your lips do not look chapped or cracked before you put on lipstick. If your lips are chapped, lightly brush off the dead skin cells with a toothbrush or towel.
- I don’t use lip liner, but if you do be sure to choose a colour that matches your lipstick.
- Try apply your lipstick with a brush so it can spread evenly. Blot your lips with tissue to make the lipstick last longer. Use gloss for a shiny or glittery look.
- If applying both lip color and eye makeup, emphasize one, or the other, never both.
- Make sure you use makeup and mascara remover before going to sleep. It’s very bad for your skin to sleep with it on. I’m terrible at doing this, but I’m trying to be better at taking make-up off before bed! Be sure to wash your face after, apparently that gets off all the rest of the foundation and powder. I actually always just use Johnson’s face wipes – works perfectly for me.
- Avoid applying make-up too often , it will block your pores causing blemishes and pimples.
- Clean your makeup brushes at least once a month with a makeup brush cleaner. Also, try not to share brushes.
Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
2 Comments Add yours
I think I’ll follow these tips to the dot tonight : I’m so terrible with makeup and accessories ! Hard to believe that I’m a girl right? 🙂
Reblogged this on Amylie in Lyon and commented:
So I’ve never been much of a girly kind of girl, and pretty hopeless when in comes to makeup and hair. I came across this post from The Starlit Path and thought it was a simple how-to for girls like me. I obviously liked it so much, I am now reblogging it.