The Hollywood Roosevelt is the most iconic hotel I can think of in LA. It’s history and its fame date back to when Marilyn Monroe stayed there as a resident for 2 years in her early career.I actually stayed in the suite named after her – the “Marilyn” Suite. It was a very cool retro inspired space!
I got into the mood on the private balcony, where I became lost imagining her walking around that space over 60 years ago.
5 Facts About The Hollywood Roosevelt
- It had its grand opening on May 15th, 1927, offering everything that would please people who were expecting perks and amenities due to their fame and social class.
- Many successful movie stars enjoyed staying here, including Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Clark Gable and Carol Lombard
- Marilyn Monroe was a resident guest for two years when her modeling career soared. Her first magazine photos were taken at The Roosevelt Hotel, pool-side.
- Montgomery Clift stayed in room 928 for three months in 1952, while filming the movie, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. During his three month stay at the Roosevelt Hotel, Montgomery Clift was learning his lines successfully and practicing his trumpet skills for this hit film, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY; a role that he received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Actor
- By 1984, The Roosevelt Hotel had become a fixer-upper opportunity. Its owners stepped up to the plate, and spent a boatload of money, providing a 12 million dollar restoration/renovation face lift to this grand old Hollywood Dame of a hotel.