I went to a “Dirt Sexy Money” / Great Gatsby party last week & it was amazing! I thought that I’d gather some great ideas for you if you’re thinking about having a themed party this festive season. Whether you’re looking to get together for an evening filled with glitz & glam, or a relaxed cocktail hour in honour of a special occasion….. Here are some awesome ideas to give your party that creative boost! All you need is a stocked bar, a few fun themes and a little inspiration for a bash where the drinks are second to the scenery.
With the film adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel The Great Gatsby, the Swinging Twenties are making a comeback in everything from fashion to design to event planning. Get into the spirit by throwing an unforgettable party the way only Jay Gatsby would have, with lively music, decadent food and more champagne than your guests know what to do with! Celebrate like they did in the Swinging Twenties with these fabulous ideas.
Greet your guests with a refreshing mint julep, a classic drink from the ‘20s.
Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill the glass with shaved or crushed ice and add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.
If you’re opting for a beautiful dessert table or just some munchies during cocktail hour, layer your table with different heights for the biggest impact. This tiered tray not only has a vintage vibe, but it’s the perfect platter to display your petit fours or finger sandwiches.
MASON JAR CANDLES
Using mason jars as candleholders was all the rage for garden parties in the 1920s. Line your dining table or hang them from the trees if you’re throwing a stylish outdoor party.
Keep guests entertained during a cocktail hour with a games table set up. From checkers to cards to dominoes, these timeless games will create a lighthearted atmosphere that’s a staple of any Great Gatsby party.
Take it up a notch with this sexy theme which lends itself to creative food, music, costumes & decor. “The Seven Deadly Sins” are a classification of objectionable vices that have been used since early Christian times.
- Lust an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body
- Gluttony the over-indulgence of anything to the point of waste
- Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work
- Envy the desire for others’ traits, status, abilities, or situation
- Wrath strong vengeful anger or indignation
- Pride excessive belief in one’s own abilities. Often interpreted as Vanity.
- Greed an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs, especially with respect to material wealth
Theme your food & cocktails using colours to represent the sins.
Red – Lust
One drink I can think of is Sangria (I had a lot of it when I was in Spain!)
- 4 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 1 apple, unpeeled, core removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 750ml bottle red wine (see note)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 750ml bottle soft drink (lemonade, soda water or ginger ale
- Thinly slice 1 orange and 1 lemon. Cut each slice into small wedges and place in a large bowl. Add apple, cinnamon and brandy. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Juice remaining oranges and lemon. Combine 1 1/2 cups wine, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 cups soft drink, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice in a jug. Add half the apple mixture. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining ingredients in another jug.
- Spoon crushed ice into 8 tall glasses. Pour over sangria. Serve.
Purple – Vanity
Green – Envy
Blue – Sloth
Yellow – Greed
Pink – Gluttony
Orange – Wrath
Get out your adventure instincts with this Indiana Jones Party. Transform your party space into an adventure zone inspired by 4×4 trucks, khaki wear, ropes, maps, treasure & more Indi-inspired decor!
If you can’t make it down to New Orleans, host a Mardi Gras themed party. Mardis Gras 2014 is happening on Sunday, March 2nd – Wednesday, March 5th. The official colors are purple, green and gold. Purple represents justice, green stands for faith, and gold signifies power. Give your home a wild, jaw-dropping transformation with a bold, eclectic collection of Mardi Gras decorations to recreate the mood of the South. Drape purple, gold, and green gossamer throughout your party area.
Who could forget the famous novel by Lewis Carroll? Take your guests down the rabbit hole with this creative & original idea for a party. Alternatively, name it the “Madhatter’s Tea Party” and create a world for your guests to explore & get carried away in!
“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.”
― Lewis Carroll