What’s on your New Year’s Resolution list?
If it’s got anything to do with health or travel – allow me to introduce one way you could tick both boxes in one fell swoop.
Visit Durban, South Africa.
In 2014, CNN rated it as “The coolest city in South Africa you’ve never seen” (See the article here Durban City).
It’s a major center of tourism because of the city’s warm subtropical climate and extensive beaches.
F A C T S O N D U R B A N
- Mahatma Ghandi, leader of the Indian independence movement, began his political journey in Durban.
- Durban city is home to The Ushaka Marine World – the worlds 5th largest aquarium
- Shaka Zulu, the most famous Zulu king, ruled the lands surrounding Durban. Durban’s international airport was named after him; known as “King Shaka International Airport”. Nearly seven million passengers pass through the airport each year!
- It hosts a fantastic travel conference each year, which Skybok had the pleasure of filming. Also see photos from my Township Tour in Durban.
W H E R E T O E A T + S T A Y W H I L E T H E R E
With almost 4 million people, you may need some suggestions on where to eat + where to stay.
I wrote about the Banting diet a while back here on The Starlit Path. I thought seeing as it’s a brand new year, I would share it again. (We all have some unwanted Christmas / New Year’s weight to lose).
As someone who takes health seriously, I’m always looking for healthier ways of eating which aren’t just fad diets. And I need a diet I can apply to any city I’m in.
In my article I listed places you could find Banting friendly restaurants in Cape Town.
This month I’m giving you places to reach for the trendiest health snack in Durban – rated 3rd on South Africa’s list of Top 10 cities to visit!
Whether you’re on vacation in Durban or live there, allow me to showcase the best restaurants offering Banting-friendly meals PLUS the best places to stay while you’re there!
Ebb & Flo, Umhlanga Rocks
Holiday Inn Express, Umhlanga Rocks
Republik, Durban North
- This place offers a side of chicken strips which is Banting friendly, see my recipe for something similar here to make at home as a Banting snack!!
Ciao Bella Cafe, Durban Waterfront
Waterfront Hotel & Spa, Durban Waterfront
Low Carb Love, Online
- Threw this one in ‘cos I love the website!
MORE ACCOMMODATION IN DURBAN
For more of my articles on Banting including recipes for salad + carb-free cocktails – see here.
For more awesome facts on Durban – see here.
For more on accommodation choices at Accommodirect – see here.
They’re also giving a way a summer getaway to the value of R10,000 over here!